Wednesday, August 03, 2011

22. Chocolate Chip Cookies (New Recipe)

 … And the ultimate recipe.


The one and only chocolate chip cookie recipe I used prior to today was good.  It produced a nice cookie.  I got several compliments on it over the years.  And it was pretty easy.  I could whip up a batch from taking the butter out the fridge to cooling in less than two hours.  I was happy with this recipe, so there was no need to stray.


However, as part of my top 100 list I thought it would be nice to venture out and at least try a new recipe, even if I reverted back to the former recipe.  I did not have a particular recipe in mind when I stumbled upon a recipe that took the blog world by storm nearly three years ago.  I must have missed that bandwagon; then again, I am not a bandwagon type person.  (I am not a fan of cupcakes, never have and never will be, and macarons are challenging to make, but that is were the affair ends.  I do not care for the taste…No, I am not a trader, just “anti-fad.”)


Anyway, I had to see if it was worth it to use two different type flours, neither of which was all purpose, in a cookie recipe.  It took me a heck-of a lot longer to make this recipe, maybe an hour to get out all the ingredients out and mix it together.  So, the ultimate question is-- Was it worth it?


Yes, yes it was worth it.  Let me preface this by saying, I am not generally a chocolate chip cookie fan.  I like my chocolate in moderation and I like my cookies super crispy (but not burnt, just close to it).  So, I will not inherently just blindly agree that this cookie rocks.  But, this cookie does rock.  It is flavorful, chewy, soft, well balanced, and delicious.  My official taste tester said it taste “good” along with a head nod.  That was gushing in official tester language.


This will definitely be my new go-to recipe.  It may take a little longer and need a day or so to rest, but the advanced planning is worth it.  I mean, if people really wanted a same day cookie, Pillsbury has many options available in the refrigerator section :-P


I currently have two batches of my new go-to recipe resting in the fridge: 1) Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies (White, Milk, and Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips), and 2) Chocolate and White Chocolate Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Chunk Cookies! 


So, start planning your next cookie treat at least 48 hours in advance so you can taste the loving baked into these.

(I could not help myself.  The bite-out looked like Mrs. Pacman... So, I added a bow)

The Brand New Go-To Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

(Adapted from Jacques Torres’ Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe from the New York Times)

Ingredients:
8 1/2 oz Cake Flour
8 1/2 oz Bread Flour
1 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 1/2 tsp Salt
2 1/2 stick (1 1/4 cup) Butter
10 oz Brown Sugar
8 oz White Sugar
2 Eggs
3 tsp Vanilla (2 tsp Mexican Vanilla & 1 tsp Tahittian Vanilla)
20 oz Chocolate Chunks

Method:

1. Mix together with a fork to aerate or shift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

2. Cream together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until light and fluffy.

3. Add eggs one at a time until incorporated, followed by vanilla.

4. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined.

5. Stir in chocolate chunks.

6. Press plastic wrap to the top of the cookie mixture. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.

7. When ready to bake, set oven to 350F.

8. Weigh out 3.5 oz of cookie dough and shape into a ball. Space very very far apart on parchment lined cookie sheet as each cookie will be about 5inches in diameter when finished baking.

9. Bake for 18-20 minutes until done.

10. Makes approximately 18 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment